MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

3 posters

Where is your bird's main cage?

andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Where is your bird's main cage? Empty Where is your bird's main cage?

Post by andrea Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm contemplating moving Ducki's mansion into a less-trafficked area. Currently he resides in the family room beside the TV. My idea was that he could then hang out on the cage while his flock (that's Mr Phil and I) watch movies, eat supper, etc. The problem is, he gets pretty loud and is also a bit cage protective in this hormonal season (he attacked my face the other day - I was reaching to put his food dish on top of the cage (where he was sitting) and he lunged onto my glasses and bit my nose really hard. Now I look like rudolf). Also, I'm worried that some of the aggression might stem from disturbed sleep - we cover him at 8:30-9pm, but I usually watch TV until 10.

My thought is to move his cage into the library. He'll still get the same amount of 'out' time, but he'll have a playgym in the family room instead of his whole cage. To give you an idea of a Ducki Day:

7:45-8:15 wake-up and breakfast with Andrea
    8:15-8:20 scritch time
    8:20-8:40 shower with Andrea
    8:40-8:50 watch Andrea get dressed and pack lunch. Supervise changing of food/water dish.
    8:50 Back in the cage for a nutriberry.
    8:50-4:30 in the cage
    4:30 - Mr. Phil gets home and opens the cage. Food dishes moved to playtop of cage.
    5:30 - Andrea gets home. Scritch time
    6:30 - help prepare supper
    7-7:30 help eat supper
    7:30 - 8:30/9pm Hang out
    8:30/9pm - bed time (in cage)

So the big difference is that 'in cage' time would be in a different, quieter room. Out-of-cage time wouldn't change, except that he would have less access to the main cage since it will be in a different room from where all the action is (and Ducki likes to be in on the actions). What do you guys think? Move the cage? Leave as-is? Has anyone moved their cages from one room to another? How did your bird react?
    FaytheReyn
    FaytheReyn

Where is your bird's main cage? Empty Re: Where is your bird's main cage?

Post by FaytheReyn Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 pm

It really depends on what you think is best for the bird. I used to have Sylvia in the dining room of our apartment, but I ended up moving her to the family room because I wanted her to be in the same room I'm always in. When I moved her, her color seemed to brighten up, and she's happier (not so bite-y). My thing also was I wanted her to be where there was a tv, because when I'm gone I turn it on to simulate there being someone there. She gets covered around 9 (like Ducki), but she's also doing the beak grind at that time. She's fine with the noise though (we also watch tv/play video games until 10).
    If you think that it'll help calm him down, I'd say go with it. Each bird is different. Smile It may also help with the cage aggression. You're the birdie-momma, do what you think is right. We're here to support you.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 pm

I would recommend a quiet sleep area for our precious Duck Man.
    My birds have a separate room from the main part of the house.
    Some people actually keep a smaller cage with a food dish and water dish and maybe one toy in a quiet area for the bird to get 12 hours of undisturbed sleep time. A second bigger cage is kept where all the action is going on so they can have a choice of hanging out with their humans or just entertaining themselves on the cage.
    If 2 cages are not in your budget then yes move Ducki's cage to a less active area especially for night time.
    If lacking in sleep it can make a bird cranky.
    His play stand can be kept in the living area for quality time.
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 pm

So he's been moved! I took pictures, but I left the camera in his 'quiet' room. He seemed fine with the arrangement - he's already climbing the curtains Giggle
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 pm

I think you will have a much happier Ducki when he gets more sleep.
    I'm sure he loves being close to you but conures don't like to miss out on anything so most likely he's up past bed time.
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, we moved his cage around 5, hung out in the library with him while he zipped in and out of the cage doing his usual silly Ducki stuff (we were trying to figure out how we are going to rearrange the furniture). He seemed to think it was a pretty neat change - us bringing his cage to the other room so he could hang out more comfortably Wink

And afterwards, he helped us make supper (and eat it) as usual - hung out until nine and then went to bed without a fuss at 9pm. Bonus - we can close the door to the library/Duck room and continue watching TV without bothering him.

Extra bonus - he has a window onto the front street (instead of the side alley), and it's south-facing so it is nice and bright all day (we had to leave a light on in the other room). Pictures when I get them off the camera!

Last edited by andrea on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 pm

I think you made the right choice yes Thumbs up
    Waiting patiently for pictures
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Sun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Before: Ducki beside our big screen TV in the family room, with a view into the alley:
    Where is your bird's main cage? P1010051

Ducki's new location, in my library by my reading chair. This room has a door and is quite soundproof. His view is now through the sliding doors onto the front walk.
    Where is your bird's main cage? P1010246
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Thumbs up PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 am

Today is the first time he'll spend the day in there (while we're at work). Hopefully he's okay with that!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 am

I'm sure he will be fine. I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:10 pm