MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

5 posters

I have the summer off

Carol
    Carol
    Admin

I have the summer off Empty I have the summer off

Post by Carol Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Well the 4 months got changed to 2 and I am now officially out of work.
    Good news is I have the summer off and have applied for UI benefits.
    I'm in the middle of a php and mysql course that I'm doing online. Lessons are released Wednesday and Friday each week so now I can do it in the morning when my brain is fresh and not tired from working all day.

I still have a few things to hand off as in information to a co-worker but other than that I need to push my toys even more.

First step is to create a catalogue which will be in pdf format if anyone here is interested.
    Next step is to create a new web site.
    I'm thinking of doing something a bit different this time offering quantity discounts.
    I don't want to get involved in getting a distributor's license so thinking something in the lines of spend over 100 get 10% off spend over 200 get 20% off spend over 300 get 30% off and anything over 400 is 40% off.
    What do you all think? Those numbers may change it's just a first draft.

Any super toy ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need some good foraging and chewing ideas.

I'm not sure if I can put my pdf on here or not but will try to post it so you can all see it.

So anyway pool and smoothie parties here every Tuesday for all that can make it Very Happy
    May as well enjoy the summer since it was handed to me right?

andrea
    andrea
    Admin

I have the summer off Empty Re: I have the summer off

Post by andrea Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I send a *HUG*

Duck sends a *Duck-in-shirt*

Have you thought of converting your birdsitting skills into a small business?

As for toys - what about a mobile-type thing like you hang over a crib? Except of course instead of blinking glittery stuff hanging from it you would have shreddable chewable stuff...
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Crying or Very sad Sorry that your job is gone............. Cool Yay the summer off. I can relate to all.
    I am on ei now and am going to enjoy my summer and I hope you do to Carol. Just think
    of all the baby cuddling you can do at Mark and Lisa's. Catalogue sounds like an
    excellent plan and good toy idea Andrea. I will still be ordering toys for the store
    Carol even if I am not employed there if that is okay with you. The owners are great people
    but have no real clue re:good bird toys so I still do those orders for them.
    Pool and Smoothie parties on Tuesdays..........what do you think Andrea? Are you up for it. Smile
    I am going to Exotic wings on Thursday with my friend Agi. Can't wait....I am visiting her in
    Kincardine for a week. No babies at the moment.........miss that.
    Enjoy the time off Carol and I am sure your birdie gang will love having you around for extra cuddles
    and new toy testing. You never know this lay off could bring you whole new adventures. yes
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Smoothies and swimming sound great - but it's a bit of a drive (6 hours, I think). Can I transmit my virtual presence?
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Of course you can.

As for birdie sitting I would need a LOT of birds here to make enough money to live on. I think that would be WAY too much work. I'm looking at slowing down a bit and doing what I love. That means making toys and enjoying my own birds. I don't think it would be fair to them.
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

andrea wrote:Smoothies and swimming sound great - but it's a bit of a drive (6 hours, I think). Can I transmit my virtual presence?

Hmmm. The laptop might short out in the pool, so that's probably not a good idea! Very Happy

Carol, just pretend you're back in college and you have the summer off. It sounds like you're off to a good start in kick-starting your new career, and who knows where you'll be by summer's end? Lots of hugs and birdie kisses from Central New York coming your way!!!! And when you get your website/catalog up and ready, I'll do what I can to get the word out to all the birdy folks I know around here. Thumbs up
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:47 am

Today Jassy and I said we're out of here and spent the afternoon at Exotic Wings.
    Mark is helping me with my cost analysis for the toys and now I need to decide do I want to go on a distribution level or wholesale or retail?? or all 3. This is way beyond me I just make the toys because I enjoy it and never thought of all this analysis stuff before. But if I want to make it work it's all the stuff I need to figure out. He says I have to know by October Giggle ya ok Surprised First step is to figure out the bar code stuff then put together the catalogue including the bar code for each toy....see it's getting difficult. lol!

But yes Catherine I am going to enjoy my birdie cuddles and the pool for sure. Sorry I didn't read closer or I could have met you at Mark's tomorrow Crying or Very sad
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am

That's okay Carol.
    Sounds like Mark has given you a lot of homework. Smile
    Next thing you know he'll be sending you off to business college. Laughing
    This all sounds very exciting.
    If you go retail I know of somewone with lots of retail experience who just happens to be unemployed.... Wink
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm

For now I'm sticking to trying to keep up with Mark's sales while I try and figure out this cost analysis and slowly build.
    OH and yes you can continue to order for the store, no problem at all.
    Now I'm off to get groceries so we can eat tonight and then I'll get started at figuring out if I can get scan codes for my toys. OHHHHHH so much to do and I really need to start painting around the windows outside before the wood all rots. Surprised
    I just don't know where to start
    Gail

Post by Gail Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Carol,

I think I can help you out a bit. I had to research this recently for a customer at my work. Attached is a link to the organization that you need to apply to, to start using barcodes.

When it comes time to make them and print them, let me know, I can help you there too! Wink

GS1 Canada
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Hmmm...I think we like Gail! Way to jump right in with awesome info yes
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks Gail I have been to that site. The price has put me on hold though.
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey Carol...........so I went to Exotic Wings today....cuddle time with a Catalina.........the one missing toenails.
    Sweetie Sweetie Sweetie I love you
    I left with no feathers........just $500. poorer after toys, treats and food. Good thing I am unemployed.........goodness knows what would of happen if I actually was working Laughing Just wondering
    what the story is about the Cockatoo in the bird room who loves to say Hello?
    You must get your catalogue going I spied some Billy Bird Toys I had not seen before. Thank you for the okay
    to buy for the store. yes
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Malenki (cockatoo)also belongs to the people who own Jackson and Max the 2 macaws.
    They have 4 birds there waiting for papers to be approved to move them to Costa Rica.

Awww you held Meghan and Ian's new baby flower
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks Carol..my friend Agi and I wondered. Malenki seemed to be in such a small cage. Hope the papers come
    through soon.
    Couldn't resist a snuggle with that Macaw....brought back good memories of Miss Tippy.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 am

Yes Malenki's cage is much too small, he was in a bigger one but it was borrowed and then sold.
    Will mention to Mark he needs to keep his eyes open for something larger for him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 pm