MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

3 posters

Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday!

Gail

Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday! Empty Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday!

Post by Gail Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Friday my grey has always been fully feathered since I brought him home (he is 11 years old now). Having had a cat in the house, my thought was that although I was careful to keep the bird and the cat separate... in case of emergency, he could get away if need be. Funny enough, he has always been more of a climber and hiker... Very Happy so he doesn't fly a whole lot.

Recently, I decided that I would like to join the bird club in order to socialize him more, and perhaps Tigger too. So his wings needed to be clipped to do that.

... well Mom has been dragging her heels...

Fast forward to Sunday...

I was coming down the main stairs with Friday when he got spooked, flew off my hand and into the sunroom where he promptly flew into the window. I am not sure who was more stunned, Friday or me.

Suffice to say... I took him over to Wings and Things, where he got a wingacure and a pedicure. While there, I picked up some food and a new toy. (Does Mom feel bad or what?)

Got a chance to meet Carol too... and one of the first things she asked was what happened to his beak...? (he was looking a little rumpled and a few small feathers missing on his face. Sad

He has been preening his wings alot, probably wondering what happened to his beautiful feathers... he doesn't realize yet that he is not a flying model anymore... should be interesting to see his reaction when he figures that one out. Very Happy

andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday! Empty Re: Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday!

Post by andrea Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:31 pm

From my experience, it only takes one clipped 'flight' for them to figure out that flying is not an option anymore. And if Ducki can figure out how to use his ladder to get up and down off his cage, I'm sure Friday will have no trouble at all (though be attentive for the 'come and get me Mommy!' bob).

As for the preening - it is normal. He now has a itchy feather ends where he used to have full feathers. His preening should return to normal once he rearranges them to his liking.

To Friday : I hope your beak feels better! (hug) or (scritch), whatever you prefer.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday! Empty Re: Friday (and Mom) had a bad day yesterday!

Post by Carol Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 pm

It was really nice to meet you Gail and I'm so glad you came when you did Giggle I didn't stop all day...phew it was so busy yesterday.
    Friday looked quite happy considering he had just gone through the spa treatment before I met him. Yes his little nose was a little pink from the window incident but now he's safe yes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:31 pm