MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

4 posters

Blood Feathers

Nickkie
    Nickkie

Blood Feathers Empty Blood Feathers

Post by Nickkie Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 pm

I have a question, when your bird looses a blood feather and you finally get it to clot is the blood suppose to be dark. I have a friend who is having
    this problem.
    Chris
    Chris

Blood Feathers Empty Re: Blood Feathers

Post by Chris Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 am

Yes, Nickkie the blood should be dark. It's the same as when one of us finally gets a cut to clot. I've never had this problem in my own birds, but from what I know, you have to pull the remaining feather stump out of the bird before it will clot properly, though. Hope that helps!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Nickkie make sure your friend removes the entire feather and there shouldn't be a problem. Having a cockatoo it's almost a monthly occurrence for me and so far I've been lucky Pete keeps enough of the feather for me to grab and pull...otherwise I would pinch to close and get him to a vet.
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I've just never had that problem. Of course I take my guys and girl to the vet to get their wings clipped.
    She's a friend on facebook and she was so upset last night. She has tiels and it's just one in particular that always seems to have blood feathers and she can't understand. She doesn't have an avian vet where she lives. The bird is fine now and it clotted. But of course she is afraid when it happens again.
    Sorry I haven't been on much, my uncle is 93 and doing good so I just haven't been in the mood very much. But I figure he's lived a good long life. My sister's went to Pennyslvania to see him but I wasn't able to go. Still having to watch things here until I can find another job.
    Hugs to all flower
    Oh Carol thanks for the Smilie of Zoe. She is a doll. She is now eating brocalli and her noodles with apple slices for desert. If there's any other suggestions on what I can feed her please let me know. Remember first for me with a too......
    Of course she eats her Harrison's pellets. She is not on any seeds. I'm just trying different stuff, so far she doesn't like squash or green beans. lol!
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 am

I had a tiel that was always breaking blood feathers. Of the four we had at the time, she was the only one with this problem - she was also our only lutino and I noticed that her pins came in a lot thicker and waxier than those of the other tiels. No matter how many times she broke her pins it was always traumatizing for me. I would grab her and the set of hemostats that we kept for that reason and run her to my mom...I would hold her and comfort her while mom made sure all the pin was out. Then we would have a nice cuddle session. We only had to take her to the vet for that once - she broke it really close to the skin and we couldn't get it with hemostats. She was fine though - we kept pressure on it all the way to the vet and skipped the line when we got there.
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 am

The bird she has trouble with I think is her lutino, maybe it's something about them, I'm lucky I can make to my vet in 10 minutes. If it is a Sunday one of his vet techs lives 2 blocks from me. I would run my bird down there and have her help me if I had a problem.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 am

My help is a black berry message away Giggle
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 pm

She called me today and she said that she is starting to bite the feathers is this normal like she is trying to pull it out.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 am

I would suggest she take her to the vet. sounds like maybe the shaft could still be in the skin.
    May be uncomfortable for her. Pete was pretty grumpy when it happened to him until I got him to the vet to have her pull it.
    I forgot all about that one. He had fallen of the play tree and hit his wing on the way down on something which of course broke it off way too close for me to pull. Man that was years ago. I called her and was told to pinch it if I could, which was impossible but I managed to stop the bleeding with corn starch and then took him to the vet. Corn starch lasted as long as the drive that day.
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Carol I'll let her know. I did tell her to try to call around and see if she could find a vet that could take care of her.
    I am so blessed to have such a great Avian Vet for my birds. And of course he's a doll since he found Zoe for me. She is such a thrill to have
    around.
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 pm

that was one of the first things I did when I got to Montreal - get Ducki checked out by a 'real avian vet' (there wasn't an exotic pet vet in Moncton). Now I call and can book spa days (wings and nails) and they know Ducki, and they get all excited about how pretty he is, and know how to 'towel taco' him properly. Smile

VERY nice to have an avian vet.
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 am

Mikey does the spa thing, just had everything done last month. When I moved from Houston to here which is just 90 miles, I asked his
    vet there to recomend one for me and he did.
    I was real lucky the year that we got hit by hurricane rita we had to evacute to Louisiana and stay with my aunt for 2 weeks. Mikey was the
    only bird then and I hated him having to live out of his carrier. I found a vet there that boarded him for me and only charged us 5 dollars a day. They got a bigger cage for him to stay in and he had a ball. The vet even met me there on a Sunday to get him so we could go home. All the girls there missed him. I sent them a nice thank you card from Mikey and enclosed his pic. They called him their little Texas evacuee. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 am