MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

4 posters

Busy Weekend

Nickkie
    Nickkie

Busy Weekend Empty Busy Weekend

Post by Nickkie Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 am

Hi sorry I wasn't on over the weekend. It was a busy one. I think Carol knows about this but my niece has put on a Charity Golf Tournament for 20 years
    for the Hughen Center and School for special needs kids and young adults. The tournament was this weekend and it was one of the best we
    have ever had. My niece was able to get the former coach from the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints to participate and put his name to
    the tournament which of course was a big draw. So we had Bum Phillips and also several former players from the Houston Oilers there. Quaterback
    Dan Pastorini was there and several others.
    The biggest part of the tournament was a football helmet that was donated by Bum Phillips and autographed by all the former Oilers. The helmet was
    auctioned off and you will not believe it went for 2 million dollars. banana1 banana1 banana1 banana1

So for anyone who has never see a 2 million dollar helmet here is a picture. In a way it was so funny, it was a husband and wife team of lawyers that bid on it. The husband would bid and then the wife, of course the wife ended up out bidding the husband. When asked if they had their own checkbooks the wife said
    yes and both are in my purse. lol!

I don't know the total amount that we were able to raise, but when I do I will let you know, the 2 million will go to build on an annex to the center so that the kids will be able to each have their own rooms. All and all it was a fantastic weekend. Thumbs up

Busy Weekend 2milliondollarfootballhelmet
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Busy Weekend Empty Re: Busy Weekend

Post by andrea Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 am

wow. Great job!
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks my niece does all the hard work and the rest of the family volunteers, of course it has grown so much we have finally gotten more volunteers. When my son found out they were going to auction the helmet he said boy I would like that. Of course once it was sold he changed his mind. We are from Houston so he grew up watching them play football.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Amazing job!
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:57 pm

And since the team is no more, that helmet is truly a collectors' item! Great job, everyone involved!
    Nickkie
    Nickkie

Post by Nickkie Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks Chris some of the money will be used to build an annex so that each kid and young adult will be able to have their own rooms. I know they will really like that. These kids are so special and we can learn so much from them. They never let their handicap get them down and always have smiles on their faces. They truly love coming out to the tournament. They have such a ball out there. They don't have a lot of motor skills but they get out on the putting green in their wheel chairs and try to play golf. They might not do a great job but boy do they have fun trying, Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:00 am