MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

+2
andrea
Gail
6 posters

A note about Peso

Gail

A note about Peso Empty A note about Peso

Post by Gail Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm

When I was 14 ... (I am now 44) my mother brought home a cockatiel, whom she named Peso. He was my mothers bird, hands down ... she was the centre of his universe. He moved house with them 9 times, including a long distance move from Regina, Saskatachewan to Trenton, Ontario.

He survived living with 2 budgies, who thought he as the centre of their universe and never gave him a moments peace. Whether it was taking turns jumping off the plant hanger in the bathroom into a dish of water nested inside it (where a plant that they over pruned had once resided) or chasing each other around the living room carpet with a piece of popcorn, he definitely had met his match in those two birds.

He had definite likes and dislikes which went right down to brands of bagels and cereals too. His favourite songs were the old "National News" music when Knowlton Nash was still the newscaster... and even to yesterday, knew that when the music for the Young and the Restless came on... that it was dinnertime and he wanted out. Dinner time was not only for eating, but for getting neck rubs from his mum.

Peso went totally blind about 2 years ago, but that did not diminish his spirit or his other senses. I am sure he could hear my mum's knees creaking from quite a distance, because she would come down the stairs and he would be calling "Hi Guy" "C'mon, let's go." However, if my Dad walked by... silence.

In the past few weeks, it had become apparent that he was failing, choosing to be on the bottom of his cage rather than up on his perch. Or even better nestling into my Mum's hand for extended periods of time, just satisfied to be near. Knowing his time was coming, she did what she could to keep him comfortable and safe.

Peso passed away this morning, he would have been 30 this summer.

Thank you for listening, I had to get this out and I knew of all people, you lovely ladies would understand... Gail Sad

Last edited by Gail on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't type worth anything.)
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

A note about Peso Empty Re: A note about Peso

Post by andrea Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:20 pm

It sounds like he lived a long and happy life, but I'm sorry to hear that he had to pass on.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Thank you for sharing Gail. He was very loved and he knew it. Peso was special and I know he will be missed. My thoughts go out to you and your family as I know it doesn't matter how old or young they are it doesn't make losing them any easier. Fly free little Peso
    I don't hear of too many cockatiels making it past 25. You and your Mom obviously did something right.
    FaytheReyn
    FaytheReyn

Post by FaytheReyn Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Sad He knew he was loved from day one to 13466 and beyond. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Sad What a blessing for your Mom to have been able to make the end of life moments for
    Peso comfortable and safe and a way for her to return all the love he has given her over his wonderful life.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

What a lovely story, Gail! My Freddy is 21 and very similar to Peso in a lot of respects. They are lovely little birds, and it sounds like Peso and everyone around him were mutually blessed!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am