MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

3 posters

re: Splenda?

Chris
    Chris

re:  Splenda? Empty re: Splenda?

Post by Chris Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Does anyone know if Splenda is good, bad, or neutral to our birds? Since Callie is vitamin A deficient, and won't eat sweet potatoes, carrots, etc., no matter how they're presented to her, I thought sprinkling some sweetener on them might make them more palatable to her. I don't want to use brown sugar, though, since sugar really is a poison to all complex organisms. Comments?
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

re:  Splenda? Empty Re: re: Splenda?

Post by Carol Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Because I'm unsure and I've heard bad things about what it can do to people I would say no.
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:05 am

Splenda? I don't mean NutriSweet, or aspartame. I can't use that myself unless I want to get seizures. What bad things have you heard about Splenda? Surprised
    Gail

Post by Gail Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm

After reading this article, I would not feed splenda to anyone... certainly not to my birds.

I found this information online... and including the link at the bottom so you can read more.... Hope you find this info helpful.

Splenda is different from other sweeteners in that it claims to be ‘made from sugar,’ and ‘natural,’ because Splenda is the trade name for sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic compound, which — without going into too much scientific detail –is basically sugar modified by adding chlorine atoms. Sucralose, incidentally, was discovered in the 1970s by researchers looking to create a new pesticide. Chlorine is added to many products – drinking water, for example – and does not necessarily render the product dangerous. On the other hand, you are ingesting chlorine, which is not advised in large amounts.

The reason Splenda produces no calories, is that the majority passes through the body without being digested. Most studies show that only around 15% of Splenda is actually digested. The worrisome fact for some researchers is that people with healthier GI systems, will absorb more of the Splenda, and thus more of the dangerous chlorine.

The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with consumers as the test rodents.

http://www.steviacafe.net/dangers-of-splenda
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Lovely. Well, in my case -- ya' gotta die from something! But, I definitely won't give it to Callie. Thanks for the info, Gail. I appreciate it!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Post by Carol Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks Gail I tried to find the info I read. I'm glad someone is on the ball this week. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 am