MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

5 posters

Tiki update

Chris
    Chris

Tiki update Empty Tiki update

Post by Chris Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:20 am

Just to let you all know what's going on with Tiki. Quick update for those of you who may have missed it: She flew over to her cage and one leg slipped through the bars. I think she panicked and tried to pull it out to quickly, wrenching it. She was limping around that night and was no better in the morning, so Dad and I took her to Cornell University's Companion Animal Hospital.

The physical exam and x-ray didn't show any breaks or dislocation, so the vets determined that it must've been a soft tissue injury, i.e. ligament or tendon pull. Anyway, she's been on an anti-inflammatory medicine twice a day and basically we have to try to keep her quiet. She's obviously still uncomfortable, and the leg is out of whack, but she's such a good girl when it comes to taking her medicine! I put the syringe up to her beak, and her little tongue starts going, lapping it up! pirat It just really hard to watch her try to walk. I mean, she never did walk very well, but she at least could shuffle along with almost a bulldog gait. Now, she kind of drags herself along by her beak. I wish they could make little birdy canes or walkers to help her along. Sad I hope she shows some improvement on the leg. It just breaks my heart, poor little puddin'!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin

Tiki update Empty Re: Tiki update

Post by Carol Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 am

Is she still eating good Chris?

Poor little baby I will keep her in my thoughts.
    Sending lots of love I love you
    Karen
    Karen

Post by Karen Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 am

Oh, the poor baby! I'm sorry to hear about her accident. How long has it been?
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 am

Extra scritches for Tiki from me!
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Carol, she still eats like a horse -- even though we're supposed to be fattening her up and she keeps finding "foreign crap" in her dish (peanut butter, apple sauce . . . ). Boy, the looks she gives us! Karen, it'll be about a week tomorrow. She has a few more days of her anti-inflammatory meds, then we'll have to see how she is.

It's frustrating because we can see that her leg is out of place, but because she has twisted legs to begin with, the vets really couldn't tell that anything was wrong. They compared her x-ray to the ones she had last fall, but I'm not sure if the angle in those old ones was good enough to compare. *sigh* Like I said, we just have to wait and see.

Andrea, thank you!!! Thumbs up
    Catherine
    Catherine

Post by Catherine Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Lots of hugs and kisses from Auntie Catherine I love you
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you, Catherine!! I will say, if any bird can adapt to whatever life throws at her, it's my Tiki. So, even though it bothers me (as a Mom) to see her having difficulties, I know she'll find a way to get past it! Thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 pm