MyBirdPix

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MyBirdPix

MyBirdPix

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyBirdPix

A forum for the bird lovers.

2 posters

Callie again

Chris
    Chris

Callie again Empty Callie again

Post by Chris Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Okay, Callie's giving me fits again. On top of everything else that's going on in this house, it seems that the lupron shots are losing effectiveness with her. The docs at Cornell are discussing with me the option of a hysterectomy. BUT -- at first they told me that it wouldn't help the hormonal behavior, it would only stop the egg laying. Now they're saying that yes, it could help the hormonal behavior but there's no guarantee. Does anyone here have any actual experience with any of this???? I just want my girl to be happy and well-adjusted. Sad
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Callie again Empty Re: Callie again

Post by andrea Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 pm

ummmm...my mom had a hysterectomy and it helped with the hormones? But I've never heard of a birdie hysterectomy. I guess it would depend on where the hormones are produced. In humans, I think some sex hormones are made in the ovaries (which a hysterectomy would eliminate), but others are made in the pituitary, which is near the brain and therefore not much affected by removing the ovaries...
    Chris
    Chris

Post by Chris Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes, my hormones plummeted after my hysterectomy, too. But birds are built differently -- at least that was the first story. I just wish they could all get their stories straight. How scary is it that Cornell is one of the cutting-edge veterinarian hospitals/schools? *sigh* I wish I knew an experienced 'too breeder. Maybe he/she could shed some light on things.
    andrea
    andrea
    Admin

Post by andrea Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm

who'd you get Callie from?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm